Fifty Shades of Grey

Rating: 2.5/5

Buy Fifty Shades of Grey: Book





Title: Fifty Shades Of Grey
Author: E. L. James
Genre: Fiction, Romance, Erotica
Pages: 528
Publisher: Random House
ISBN-13: 9780099579939



I had heard so much about this book being on the bestseller list and all, and one of my friends explicitly suggested reading this one too. I put it on hold because I had to finish reading the other books in hand. But when I was finally done, I thought to explore this particular trilogy. I seriously thought this would be somewhere in the lines of a Mills and Boon but I was astonished! Not sure in a happy way, though.

The story is about Anastasia Steele, a university student, who interviews an immensely rich (and insanely handsome) businessman, Christian Grey, for her college newspaper on behalf of her roommate. From the moment they set eyes both are drawn towards each other. Although Grey displays his affection, he is distant and mysterious especially when he says that he cannot touch her unless she signs a contract. The story takes a rather disclosing turn when Anastasia realizes that Grey needs her to be his submissive sex slave. Confused and totally inexperienced, Anastasia is unable to resist him and gives in to his aloof but caring attitude. After all, he appears to be struggling with his disturbed past. But she wants more from him - a closer bond. Their relationship and her emotions are taken for a bumpy ride and she cannot decide whether to comply and carry on or to stop it all.

This is the first book in the series. The narrative is from Anastasia 's perspective. She is this 22 year old girl who has never been in a relationship and now that she is, she is confused whether to stay with him despite his tendencies to punish her if she doesn't agree to the terms of his contract? Really? Christian Grey is this extremely rich, Greek God who seem to have seduced a number of women on the pretext of his fetish. I can't say that I enjoyed reading this book. Reason being at some places the story is too fantastic and at times, too weak. I somehow couldn't bring myself to relate to the story. Not my cup of tea.

I enjoy reading romantic stories and this book is romantic, no doubt. But the heavy take on extreme physical habits and the unbelievably compromising angle from Anastasia sort of tips it off the scale. I am not sure if I would be reading the next book "Fifty Shades Darker". How much more "darker" can Grey get anyways?!?





Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

Paths of Glory

The Immortals of Meluha

Book Review: The Boy From Pataliputra